To simply put it: The Celtics didn’t have it tonight.
Boston had their first loss of the season rain down on them as the Raptors scored 33 points from deep on the way to the 113-103 win.
This is the second game in a row where the Celtics starters, Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, David Lee and Tyler Zeller struggled to get going on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. The group as a whole combined for just 42 points and for the second game in a row was outscored by the bench who had 61.
Isaiah Thomas, again, had a strong game off the bench with 25 points, 7 assists and two steals. Jared Sullinger was the fifth big off the bench after Lee, Zeller, Olynyk and Johnson, but made his presence know hitting all three of his shots for 6 points and had 3 rebounds. He saw action early in the second quarter and seems to be playing with a lot of aggression out there as he looks for more minutes.
Toronto made their move at the 8:50 mark in the third quarter going on a 24-8 run on the Celtics. Boston gave up too may wide open three’s whether they were in transition or in the half-court. DeMarre Carrol (21 points), DeMar Derozan (23 points) and Terrence Ross (21 points off the bench) all killed the Celtics hitting 21 of their combined 43 shots.
Boston coughed up the ball 17 times for 22 points against the Raptors and overall just couldn’t find the chemistry passing game.
Evan Turner had a night to forget for the C’s scoring 6 points on 2-11 shooting. He also had 4 turnovers. Despite the lackluster play, however, he did log the second most minutes off the bench (28) only behind Isaiah Thomas (29).
The lone highlight from the Celtics came from Marcus Smart who drain an off balanced three pointer from the corner.
Other game notes:
- In his first game of the season, Kelly Olynyk looked ok scoring 11 points on 4-10 shooting. 5 of those shots came from three and it seems his aggressiveness in the preseason is going to carry over into the regular season.
- Rebounding is still and issue with this team being beat on the glass 100-79 in the first two games.
- With that stat above in mind, Tyler Zeller has really struggled out of the gate. Tonight he scored 10 points, but had 0 rebounds. You can’t have that from your starting center.
- We’ll have to wait at least another game for the NBA debut for R.J. Hunter, but his dad did have some comments on his training camp.
- After beating the Dolphins on Thursday Night Football 36-7 last night, Patriots running backs Dion Lewis and LeGarrette Blount took in the Celtics game. But, it was Julian Edelman who stole the show.