By Tyler Sullivan Follow on Twitter @TylerSully
It was a poor night from the floor for the Celtics hitting only 35.7% of their shots in the 95-87 loss to the San Antonio Spurs.
Brad Stevens’ now 1-2 team struggled out of the gate in a very winnable game hitting a mere 29% of their shots from the field and hit just one of their twelve 3-pointers in the first half.
What kept them in the game and put them within striking distance late in was their defense forcing 18 Spurs turnovers.
Marcus Smart was literally all over the floor against San Antonio playing a game high 39 minutes and finishing with 17 points, 4 steals, 3 assists, 2 rebounds and 1 block.
The Spurs shinny new free agent toy LaMarcus Aldridge played well against the Boston bigs scoring 24 points, grabbing 14 boards and even gave out 5 dimes.
Kawhi Leonard played like a Finals MVP down the stretch hitting big shot after big shot silencing the TD Garden as the C’s made it a two possession game in the fourth quarter.
Celtics starting five for the second game in a row came out flat to start the game and it will be interesting to see if we see any changes in Wednesday when the C’s are in Indiana to face the Pacers.
- Jared Sullinger seems to be moving up the Big ranks jumping over Kelly Olynyk as the forth big man off the bench. He finished his night with 10 points and 8 rebounds.
- For the second straight game Sully was on the floor to start the second half.
- Tyler Zeller continues to struggle for Boston playing only 6 minutes and didn’t start in the second half.
- Zeller is 6 for 14 from the floor and only has two rebounds in 3 games.
- David Lee may be at the top (or bottom depending on how you look at it) of the list of Celtics who struggled on the night missing on 6 of his 7 shots from the floor in 21 minutes.
- Avery Bradley went into the locker room in the final second of the game with an apparent finger injury. Stevens said after the game that Bradley told him he just jammed or sprained it.
- Before he left, and what probably gave him the finger injury, Bradley gave us the highlight of the night with this power slam.