LOWELL, Mass. – Freshman forward Nick Master (Broomall, Pa.) notched his second goal in two nights to lead the No. 5 UMass Lowell Hockey team to a 3-1 win over the No. 15 Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Saturday night at the Tsongas Arena in front of 5,868 fans.

With the win, the River Hawks improve to 9-1-3, 5-0-3 HEA on the season, while the Fighting Irish fall to 5-3-4, 3-1-2 HEA.

“We are excited to come out on top tonight, I felt a lot of things improved from yesterday,” said Head Coach Norm Bazin. “It was certainly a good team we played, and we are glad to get points in the Hockey East once again. Tonight was a playoff style game, we challenged our guys and fortunately for us we were able to score two in the third period. It is tough killing three or four penalties because you drain your energy and your goaltender is a huge part of that and he played well.”

Senior goaltender Kevin Boyle (Manalapan, N.J) recorded 35 saves in the outing, en route to picking up his ninth win of the season.

The first 20 minutes of play remained scoreless, with the visitors holding an 8-6 shot advantage. The opening period was highlighted by a scoring chance from junior forward Evan Campbell (Port Coquitlam, B.C.), in the final seconds of the period, when his shot was deflected just wide of the net.

Campbell continue to attacked the opposing net coming out of the first intermission, and opened up the scoring at 5:32 in the second period, on a power play. Junior defenseman Dylan Zink (Madison, Wis.) and sophomore forward C.J. Smith (Des Moines, Iowa) were credited with the assists after setting up Campbell to give the team the 1-0 lead.

The home team could not hold onto the lead for long, as the Fighting Irish knotted the game 1-1 just 68 seconds later. Notre Dame forward Thomas DiPaul tallied his eighth goal of the season after putting back a rebound that came off of Boyle’s pads.

The River Hawks’ special teams unit continued to show its strength when Master notched his first career game-winning goal and third tally of the season to give the hosts a 2-1 advantage. The freshman flicked a shot from the middle of the two face-off circles, finding the top left hand corner of the net.

With four seconds remaining in the game, Chapie added an insurance goal on an empty net to help secure the victory for the squad.

UMass Lowell went a perfect 5-for-5 on penalty kills tonight, improving to 44-49 (91.8%).

The River Hawks are headed to Belfast, Northern Ireland where they are set to play two games as part of the Friendship Four Tournament. UMass Lowell’s first contest will be against Hockey East Conference rival Northeastern, slated to start at 2:30 p.m. Eastern time on Friday, November 27th at SSE Arena.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s