Monarchs Split Weekend With Adirondack to Remain in First

The Manchester Monarchs kept their hold on the east division this past weekend after splitting a home-and-home series with the Adirondack Thunder.

Manchester suffered a 6-1 road loss on Saturday night. Adirondack scored three straight first period goals to take a 3-0 lead going into the first intermission. The Thunder (17-6-1-1) scored once more in the second period and twice in the third to total their six goals.

The lone Monarch goal came from Stefen Legein on a third period power play.

Monarchs goalie Cedric Desjardins was pulled before the third period after allowing four goals. Colin Stevens replaced him and gave up two goals in his 20 minutes played between the pipes.

The Monarchs (19-11-0-1) returned home to the Verizon Wireless Arena on Sunday afternoon where they took a 2-0 shutout victory. Stevens got the start in net after relieving Desjardins the night before, and picked up the first shutout of the season for Manchester.

It was also Stevens’ first shutout at the profesional level as he saved all 44 shots the Thunder sent his way, including 18 in the third period alone.

The goal scorers in the victory for the Monarchs were Alex Roach and Maxim Kitsyn. Roach scored his third goal of the season just seven minutes into the contest and the Monarchs never looked back, with Kitsyn adding an insurance goal in the second frame for his ninth tally of the year.

Manchester will be back at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Thursday night to take on the Greenville Swamp Rabbits at 7pm.

Photo Credit: Manchester Monarchs

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s